Tuesday 7 August 2007

Good Old Samuel Plimsoll !

Occasionally a person comes a long that invents something simple to help a lot of people. So was Samuel Plimsoll. Rather than sitting on the side-lines he got involved in solving the plight of the over-loaded sailor.

I wonder how many people out there would want to create a 'Plimsoll Line' for stress related illness. Some way of helping people realise, 'early' warning system, that they are getting over-loaded. In addition we could collect strategies that people have used to help themselves or others at these times.

3 comments:

Mike Tea said...

I am intrigued by the idea of a Plimsoll Line for stress. I might try and devise one. Your links are very helpful too.

Mike Tea said...

edUKayted

I am feeling a bit foolish because I have only just realised the significance of the UK in your monica. Hey, Ho.

I have been thinking further about this idea of a Plimsoll Line for stress. Developing the idea I have thought about the fact that the original Plimsoll Line monitored how low in the water a ship was sitting, this being an indication of how great the load the ship was carrying.

I am sitting pretty low in the water right now and, as a ship's captain would be made to lighten the load, so I have to lighten mine. I have to identify some part or parts of load in my ship of life that I need to jettison and make a serious decision.

Unlike a ship, however, there is no standard measure or line to indicate there is a problem before we get under sail. We must make that decision for ourselves and not allow someone else to challenge that decision. Its my voyage, my vessel and my responsibility.

I know what I need to do to lighten my cargo. I know it will not suit people but...

EDUKAYTED said...

Is there a possibilty that we are used to over-loading our boats by accepting all the burdens that come our way ?

Are we always ready to unload, or displace cargo onto other ships ?

Do we often try to sail alone even when we are having to bale out water as were sinking ?

Yes, it is the Captain's responsibility, but would he be happy of some guidance in the packing of His ship. Wouldn't it also help if my brother was also my keeper ?